You know, it’s hard to get your computer to start as the first day. With time, Hard-drive fills up with programs and updates, and it needs to load everything to work correctly.
And you have to wait long enough to see the desktop screen. And then worse is – when some apps have the unpleasant habit of starting automatically and slow down your computer. One of them is Skype, which is very useful for communicating with your friends, but the automatic start is annoying. That’s why we’ll guide you on how to stop Skype from starting automatically when you turn on the computer.
Skype is one of the applications that can slow down your computer by auto launch and stopping it may help you increase overall speed of your computer.
The first thing you have to do is simply not to press the tick to remember a password. In this way, even if the application is activated, your session will not start, and your computer will continue doing its task.
There are couple of ways to stop Skype from starting automatically – by going through the Skype settings and by the use of Taskbar Manager in Windows 10.
We will explain you both methods so you can use any of those as per your choice.
Method 1 – By Skype Settings
- Start Skype first and log in with your account to get to the main window.
- Open the “Actions” tab in the menu bar and then click on “Options …” or open it with the key combination Ctrl + Comma.
- Under “General Settings” remove the checkmark at “Run Skype on Windows Start”.
Now you have disabled the autostart of Skype and increased the speed of Windows startup. Now restart your computer to verify the setting.
Method 2 – By Task Manager
You can also use Windows 10’s Task Manager to manage your startup programs:
- First of all, start the Task Manager with the key combination Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Now click on “More details” at the bottom left of the window to expand it.
- Now you will see under the tab “Autostart” all the programs that are running when Windows starts.
- After right-clicking on “Skype” you can deactivate the automatic start by clicking on “Deactivate”.
Now you have disabled Skype from the Autostart. If needed in the future, you can simple undo this with the same procedure.
Prevent Skype desktop application from running in the background
The desktop version of Skype continues to run after you start it and you remain signed in. Even when you close Skype, it will still run in the background.
To close the Skype desktop application, look for the Skype icon in the notification area next to the clock in the taskbar. Right-click on the Skype icon in the system tray and select “Exit”.